School Logo

Interactive Bar

Google Translate

What to do if your child or a member of your family show symptoms of COVID-19 or tests positive

IMPORTANT re Use of Lateral Flow Covid Tests


Please could we politely remind Parents/Carers of the current Government guidelines in regards to testing for Covid-19 (Government Guidance on testing)

If your child or anyone in your household has one of the following symptoms

  • New continuous cough
  • High temperature
  • Loss of taste and smell

or you are worried they may be developing symptoms, you need to get a PCR test at a test center. Your child and your household then need to isolate until you receive the results.

Lateral flow tests should only be used for asymptomatic testing (for people who display no symptoms).

Current advice is that Primary school children do not need to be regularly tested using the Lateral Flow Devices (click here for further information).

It is really important that if you feel your child or a member of your household needs to be tested because they have symptoms you book a PCR test (booking a test) and isolate until you get the results.

If you inform the school that your child has one of the above symptoms you need to

  1. Book a PCR test and isolate (all members of your household) until you receive the results.
  2. or isolate for 10 days before returning to school.

We cannot allow children who have had symptoms and then taken a Lateral Flow Test back into school for everyone’s safety.

My child has symptoms - What do we need to do?

If your child falls ill in school we will contact parents to come and collect your child.

If your child develops any of the following symptoms whether at school or at home, your child must self-isolate and you must arrange a coronavirus test. 


To arrange a test follow the link here - Book a Coronavirus test or by calling 119. Our nearest test centre is at Wroughton Park and Ride on Pipers Way, walk in facilities may also be available around Swindon or you can order a home testing kit, which can be arranged by following the link to book a test. 
Do NOT go to the GP Surgery
, Hospital or Pharmacy. 

My child has had a test and it’s negative. 
If a child tests negative and if they feel well and no longer have symptoms similar to coronavirus (COVID-19), they can stop self-isolating and return to school. If the pupil remains unwell following the test (such as with a different illness), then they can return when well enough to do so.

Your child should continue to remain at home if they have been advised to self-isolate for 10 days as part of NHS Test and Trace (see below). 


My child has had a test and it’s positive. 
If a child tests positive, they should continue to self-isolate for at least 10 days from the onset of their symptoms. They should only return to school if they do not have symptoms other than a cough or loss of sense of smell or taste (anosmia). This is because a cough or anosmia can last for several weeks once the infection has gone. 
Siblings and other household family members should follow the current guidance on self-isolation. 


Please keep the school informed as to your situation so we can record their absence appropriately.  Attendance will not be affected by following the guidelines on isolation due to COVID-19. 

Someone in the child’s household has symptoms.

If someone in the child’s household has symptoms, the household should self-isolate and the member of their household should get a test.

If the member of the household tests negative, the child can stop self-isolating and can return to school.

If the household member tests positive, the child should continue self-isolating for the full 10 days from when the member of their household first had symptoms.


NHS Test and Trace

Anyone who tests positive for Coronavirus will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace and you will need to share information about their recent interactions. This could include household members, people with whom they have been in direct contact, or within 2 meters for more than 15 minutes. 

People identified as having been in close contact with someone who has a positive test must stay at home for 10 days, even if they do not have symptoms, to stop unknowingly spreading the virus. Further information about NHS Test and Trace is available here

If those in isolation develop symptoms, they should book a test (see above). 

If you test positive you should stay at home for 10 days (or current government guidelines) or until symptoms have passed if symptoms are still present after the 10 days. 

If negative, you should still remain at home until 10 days have passed symptom free. 

For further information please follow the link below. 


What happens if a child has been diagnosed with coronavirus and has been attending school?

Following current government guidelines, if we have a reported case of Coronavirus within school we are required to contact Public Health England. We would then be guided by them as to any required action to be taken.



My child is self-isolating and is feeling well.

Children should be encouraged to engage with home learning via Class Dojo if they are self-isolating because; 

  • Your child is awaiting Coronavirus test results and is feeling well enough to engage in home learning
  • Child having been diagnosed with Coronavirus, therefore isolating for 10 days and is now feeling well enough to engage in home learning. 
  • NHS Test and Trace 10 days self-isolation
  • A family/household member awaiting test results
  • A family/household member with Coronavirus
  • Self-isolation having travelled from abroad and are required to self-isolate, following current government guidelines 








Test and Trace support payment for parents

Parents and carers of children who have been advised to self-isolate by their education setting or by NHS Test and Trace are now able to apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment or discretionary payment of £500, if they meet the eligibility criteria. The extension of the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme, which is administered by district and unitary local authorities in England, ensures that parents receive the financial support they need if they are unable to attend work due to childcare responsibilities.

Parents and carers should apply to their local authority to receive a payment. Applications for the Test and Trace Support Payment scheme are made via the local authority in which the parent or carer resides, not the local authority where the setting is situated, if these are different.

To be eligible applicants must meet all of the criteria that:

  • they are the parent or guardian of a child or young person in the same household and need to take time off work to care for them while they self-isolate. This is limited to one parent or guardian per household for the child or young person’s self-isolation period
  • they are employed or self-employed
  • they cannot work from home while undertaking caring responsibilities and will lose income as a result
  • they meet all the other means-tested eligibility criteria for a Test and Trace Support Payment or locally determined criteria for a discretionary payment

That their child or young person:

  • is aged 15 or under (or 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC)) and normally attends an education or childcare setting
  • has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or by their education or childcare setting because they have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19)


For more information or to apply for this payment please follow this link -


Information on support available to those who may be financially affected by the Covid-19 Pandemic

East Wichel Primary School Covid-19 Risk Assesment

Returning to primary school: what parents need to know (Government Publication)