At East Wichel Primary School and Nursery, we are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, age or socio-economic background. We aim to develop a culture of inclusion and diversity in which all those connected to the school feel proud of their identity and ability to participate fully in school life.
We tackle discrimination through the positive promotion of equality, by challenging bullying and stereotypes and by creating an environment which champions respect for all.
At East Wichel Primary School and Nursery, we believe that diversity is a strength which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit us.
We will not discriminate against, harass or victimise any pupil, prospective pupil, or other member of the school community because of their:
- Religion or belief.
- Sexual orientation.
- Gender reassignment.
- Pregnancy or maternity.
East Wichel Primary School and Nursery does not tolerate any form of prejudice-related incident. Whether direct or indirect, we treat discrimination against all members of our school with the utmost severity. When an incident is reported, through a thorough reporting procedure, our school is devoted to ensuring appropriate action is taken and a resolution is put into place which is both fair and firm. We use the restorative justice approach, drawing heavily on our school values of love, integrity, community, aspiration and appreciation together with our school rules:
- Be kind
- Work hard
- Do the right thing and make a difference
Equality in Teaching and learning
We provide all our pupils with the opportunity to succeed and to reach the highest level of personal achievement. We do this by:
- Ensuring equality of access for all pupils and preparing them for life in a diverse society
- Using materials that reflect the diversity of the school, population and local community without stereotyping
- Promoting attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice
- Providing opportunities for pupils to appreciate their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures
- Seeking to involve all parents in supporting their child’s education
- Utilising teaching approaches appropriate for the whole school population which are inclusive and reflective of our pupils.
Equality in Admissions and Exclusions
Our admissions arrangements are fair and transparent and do not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender, religion, belief, disability and/or socio-economic background.
Our Environment and Ethos
Our school is committed to not only eliminating discrimination, but also increasing understanding and appreciation for diversity. We believe that a greater level of success from pupils and staff can be achieved by realising the uniqueness of individuals. Creating a prejudice-free environment where individuals feel confident and at ease is a commitment of the school.
This environment will be achieved by:
- Following our school rules and living through our values
- Always treating all members of the school community fairly.
- Developing an understanding of diversity and the benefits it can have.
- Adopting an inclusive attitude.
- Adopting an inclusive curriculum that is accessible to all.
- Encouraging compassion and open-mindedness.
At East Wichel Primary School and Nursery our pupils are taught to be:
- Understanding of others.
- Celebratory of cultural diversity.
- Eager to reach their full potential.
- Aware of what constitutes discriminatory behaviour.
Equal Opportunities for Staff
All staff appointments and promotions are made on the basis of merit and ability and in compliance with the law. We are keen to ensure that the staffing of the school reflects the diversity of our community.
The school’s employees will not:
- Discriminate against any member of the school.
- Treat other members of the school unfairly.
The school’s employee’s will:
- Promote diversity equality.
- Encourage and adopt an inclusive attitude.
- Lead by example.
East Wichel Primary School and Nursery is committed to promoting the welfare and equality of all its staff, pupils and other members of the school community. To achieve this, the school has established the following objectives:
- Monitor changes to the curriculum to ensure they result in good outcomes for pupils in all vulnerable groups.
- To develop pupil knowledge of equality and diversity by weaving it through our school ethos and practises.
- Improve the quality of support to raise levels of attainment in core subjects for vulnerable learners.
- To embed the British value of tolerance and mutual respect