What is Fast 10?
A daily 5 minute activity for the children (Y2 +) to practise arithmetic. Fast 10 helps to close gaps in learning and works on the principle of interleaving.
The structure of the session is as follows:
- Children have 5 minutes to complete 10 questions
- When finished, they mark their own work (with no answers given) and work out an approximate score out of 10. They then complete an extra challenge provided by the teacher
- When the time is up, children talk through their answers in pairs
- They are then shown a slide with the answers to mark their own work
- Children make a note of one question they need to work on in the corner of their book for the Teacher/TA to identify common misconceptions/areas for further support
Y1 Fast 5
Year 1 begin the year with Fast 5 (5 questions in 5 minutes). From Term 2 onwards, children increase over the year to Fast 10 (10 questions in 5 minutes)
In Year 1, children time themselves with the aim to improve on their score/speed every day.